Tuesday, April 3, 2012

TM241 analysis

Thought it'd be fun to post a picture of my radio with the probes on the mic jack. I'm using a plug I bought in a pack to make interface cables. The antenna behind the radio is actually the rubberducky for a handheld scanner. My TM-241a is sitting on a wood block to separate it from the Alinco DR-600 below it. (My next target? Heh) These probes connect to a Bus Pirate out of the picture. The one alligator clip stands in for a particularly weak probe clip that kept falling off.

As I write this, I'm almost done rescanning the 2 byte block. 0000-FFFF unless something happens between 00FB and 00FF then I don't think there's going to be anything here. :(

I think my next target will be trying to ape the kind of stream the radio sends out. (Maybe I'll even rig up something to spit it back to it, see what it thinks of that)

Of course, one possible application when I figure this out maybe making my own remote head. Others might use it to make a D-Star homebrew head that can control the radio as well as do the digital voice. Or maybe I'll eventually figure out multiple radios and make a protocol droid to translate from one control head to a different radio. RC-D710 maybe? As I posted before, It's possible to use that head with other radios, as an APRS tnc. But without control.

One thing I'd love to inspire is some sort of USB for radios. Or some sort of multivendor connection standard. It'd be great to connect multiple radios into a bus along with a control head that can operate all of them. I'm not talking just Ham Radios either.

Update: Scan finished. No hits in 0000-FFFF. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment